Occupy NOLA

We're here for just two minutes before we're asked to explain ourselves. A man comes fast up to us, wearing a mask and flanked by two other men wearing masks. We decide to stand our ground. This is public land. We have a right to be here too.

This is Occupy New Orleans, and there is a different feel here than the other Occupy Movement groups we have encountered. The guy with the mask tells me they have to be careful, he and his group. They are anarchists, and, while I respect and share some of their philosophy, the mask is throwing me off. And, there's just too much testosterone flying around. I ask him if he will take his mask off so I can see his face. He waives off his friends and takes the mask off. But he will not let Patrick photograph him without it.

There is a lot of fear in this man about the government. He has to protect the women and children in his sub compound from aggressors within the government. He has come from Austin, and he says he does not understand how things work in this city. Who does?

Finally he calms down enough to talk, and I give him my card.

Someone is attempting to start a box garden here. There is a medical tent and polite suggestions about how to use the toilet. But, we don't see a lot of people out and about. Later, the police go in early in the morning and clear everyone out. You can protest, but you can't live here. I sort of feel like anyone should be able to live on public land, but it can get messy and dangerous. Not everyone can play nice.